Tuesday 14 June 2022

Book Review: "Cheeky Chameleon: Where Are You?" by Marie Zhang

Kindle:
Paperback:

⭐⭐ out of 5

I'll start this review off in the same way as I've started all my other recent book reviews, by saying that this book (and every book I review) starts off with the full 5 stars and that I'm always hopeful that they are all stuck firmly in place by the time I close the back cover.

I'm also a childrens author and the age range of 2-8 years old covers two types of books - picture books for the up to 6's and early readers for the 7-8 year olds.  They also have a huuuuge difference in understanding and interests, so I'm wondering which age group this book is really for already.

Whoever set this book out for the Kindle, didn't do a very good job because the words and the intended illustration are on two different pages with the words for the next illustration directly underneath the previous illustration so this middle-ager is getting confused already so I dread to think what the intended audience would be thinking and feeling about this book!  The first star is dropping off unfortunately.

At 58% a very American word is used ("trash") which would seriously confuse such a young audience, so the second star is coming off.

This is definitely an American author and book 'cos of the spelling of "gray" too, which would confuse the upper age group this book is aimed at when they are being taught to spell it with an e ("grey") so the third star is coming off and we're down to two stars at 69% of the way through.

It ends well, but this really isn't a book for the UK market with such a young audience who are only just getting to grips with the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment