Saturday 7 October 2023

Book Review: "My Mom's a Witch" by Debbie Aubrey

Kindle:
Paperback:
⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent-ish book reviews, you'll already know that each book I read an review starts off with the full shedload of stars and I'm always hopeful that they'll still be stuck in concrete by the time I close the back cover.  You'll also know that I'm not shy about knocking stars off, but I always give my reasons for doing so.


The Kindle version promises that this book is "Funny magical fantasy fiction that's ever so slightly bonkers" which is a huuuuge statement to have to live up to when it comes to me and my sense of humour lol  If I even raise a smile, I'll consider it achieved, otherwise it's a nope from me.


Oh dear.  The second paragraph of the entire book and the first star is already wobbly because of the use of a well-known singer... will it plop off before the end of the first chapter?


There's another famous name, this time of a cartoon/film character so after only 2 paragraphs the first star has already plopped to the floor.


And a third famous name at the start of the second page... I'm already wondering if I'll make it to the end of the book with even a single star left!


Page 4 and a fourth famous name is dropped in without permission from the appropriate Trademark holder too, I bet.


And a fifth famous name on the fourth page, along with a well-known telly programme, so the second star comes off after only 4 pages... this isn't looking good unfortunately.


It was incredibly hard work, but I've finally got to the end of the first chapter... just a pity that it's already lost two stars.


Chaper two was OK... nothing to write home about, but I'm starting to understand the so-called humour now - it's just a pity that it's taken 17% of the book to get there!


The third and fourth chapters were good... the author is really getting into her stride now.  There were occasional typos but I could still understand what she was trying to get across.


I'm 51% of the way through the book now, so it feels like a good place to stop for the night... will I have nightmares about those descriptions of what happened in Scotland though?  I seriously hope not, but there's only one way to find out!


Nope, no nightmares, thankfully, so lets keep reading and reviewing the book shall we?


Chapter 7 was good, but I don't recommend reading it around the time you're gonna eat, like I have  ;-)


Oh dear... they didn't plan that very well, did they?  No spoilers, but with 31% to go and it being a children's book, I hope it'll be a happily ever after story!


I wasn't expecting any of *that*!  Could the end of chapter 9 be a hint of a potential sequel?


And we're back to using big brand names again, but I've already taken a star off for that, so the three stars are still safe.


I wasn't expecting the last chapter, but it was fun and I can see children loving it!


No comments:

Post a Comment