Tuesday 28 September 2021

Book Review: "Pony" by R. J. Palacio


⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other book reviews, you'll already know that every book I read and review starts off with the full 5 stars and the hope that they are all fully standing firm by the end of the book.

Let's get started on this book, yeah?

I'm already confuzzled... there seem to be sections then chapters within each section that the numbering re-starts at 1 again, so if I'm already confused then it doesn't look good already, right?  I'm going into it with an open mind (and a mouthful of choccie biccies for my lunch lol) and will be happy to be proved wrong by the author and publisher.

Ah right, so the "chapters" within each section are more like scenes than chapters.  That fifth star is still in place, but the author should have chosen different words several times unless it's a book for older teens??  Just checked and apparently it's for 9-11 year olds and there's no way that they would understand some of the word choices, so that star is coming off after all.

It's such a boring book that I've skipped half way through it now and something pretty big seems to have happened in the pages I've skipped over but I'm really not feeling motivated to go back and read them, so would a child feel the same way?  I'm knocking off another star 'cos of flicking so far ahead, so we're down to three stars now unfortunately.

It hasn't gotten any better, so I've skipped even farther ahead now, unfortunately.

I give up... I've skipped through more than I've read because it's so dull, but the publisher obviously spotted something I've missed, but I can't help how I feel about this book.  It's a very reluctant 3 stars unfortunately.


No comments:

Post a Comment