Monday 14 February 2022

Book Review: "Max Counts to a Million" by Jeremy Williams


⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other book reviews over the last little while, you'll already know that every book I read starts off just like this - letting you know that the book starts off with 5 stars and I'm always hopeful that they'll still be firmly in place by the time I finish reading the book and put the final full stop in this review.

Oooh!  It seems to be written in the first person, so it'll be interesting to see how the author handles things that other characters may be thinking but not actually saying!

I've somehow got up to page 26 without writing another word to this review and I'm really enjoying it so far.  I'm up to the bit where Dad is trying to explain about the start of the pandemic and even though he's a doctor, he seems to be struggling to explain it to his 8-year-old son.

Oh dear, at page 33 there's a swear word in the first sentence of the page which I would have let go if this was a teen book, but it's aimed at 7-9 year olds so I can't let that go without knocking a star off, which is a huge pity but it's what I've done with other books, so it's only right and fair that I do it with this one too.

And now there is talk about big brand (to children) chocolates and sweets, so, like with previous books and reviews, that's the second star coming off too... you might be able to overlook the swearing and trademark used potentially without permission, I just have never been able to.  Page 47 and a well known toy brand is used too... it's almost like the author has done his research into certain bits but doesn't realise that using brand names without written permission is, I think, illegal and could get into serious hot water over it!  The first 32 pages were fantastic, but I've had to knock two stars off in only 14 pages unfortunately.

Up to chapter 12 now and we're back to the awesomness of the first 30-odd pages and I soo wish that it was still a 5 star book, but my sense of fairness is being strong about the removals, just like it has with previous books.

Just finished chapter 17 and it's still an incredible book and I soo wish all those 5 stars were firmly glued in place... if you can overlook my niggles and sense of fairness then it's definitely 5 stars and a must-read by everyone... but I think it's definitely for the younger age-group, purely because of the age of the main character and children not usually reading about characters younger than them.

OMG!  Poor Grandad!  I hope he'll be OK!  It's a children's story, so he has to be, right?

What a great end to the book!  A definite must read for 7-8 year olds but even adults might enjoy and learn from this book... especially about the number 7 and never giving up  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment