Thursday 17 February 2022

Book Review: "Perfectly Weird, Perfectly You: A Scientific Guide to Growing Up" by Camilla Pang

Kindle Edition:
Audiobook:
⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my more recent book reviews, you'll already know how I start 'em all, right?  If, however, this is the first of my reviews that you've read then I'll just quickly start off by saying that all the books I read and review start off with the full 5 stars and I'm forever hopeful that they will all still be set in concrete when I close back cover.

I also wanna say that this book seems a bit techy for those families who can't afford to buy Kindles or Audible memberships 'cos there ain't a paperback version at the time I'm writing this review!

I'm also hopeful that this is the book I was desperate for as a child but couldn't find in any bookshop or library!

Let's get on with reading and reviewing now, shall we?

The cover is weird enough to be scientific in an approachable way, so I'm hoping that the book will be written in a similar style.

Ooh!  The author has a diagnosis that explains the word choices for the title!  I wonder if the book will be about that or puberty or both?

Oh dear, like with all the other books I've read and reviewed, a star is coming off for using the title of a magasine and also a toy and now a singer, so we're already down to 4 stars  :-(

I'm wondering if some of the word choices are maybe too mature for the audience (8-11 year olds)?

I love the idea of keeping a diary - I certainly did for many many years and now I've got a blog that I use to record things as they happen as well as totally venting about things that make me angry or frustrated because I don't feel able to put them into words that come out of my mouth and end up supporting friends when the reality is that I'm the one in desperate need of support right then!  I couldn't be without my blog any more - it's the only way to get things out of my head at times!

Oh dear, the author has sworn so the second star is looking wobbly.  It's a traditionally published book though, so I hope the publisher has read this book and decided to let the trademarks, names and swearing through rather than just hitting the approval button without reading past the first 10 pages!

I love how the author has handled their explaination of discrimination and explained it so gently!  This is a good book, other than those few niggly things that have forced me to remove that star.

The author has ended the book as wonderfully as she's handled the rest of it... it gives this mid life-er a warm, fuzzy feeling in my chest so I hope her intended audience gain as much from this book as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment