Wednesday 20 May 2020

Book Review: "Thomas Wildus and the Wizard of Sumeria" by J M Bergen


⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

So far, so OK, but the author is already getting on my reading wick by not knowing/using the correct spelling of dropping the second s after the ' when a word ends with an s already - the author has written it as Arius's instead of Arius' which is already annoying me after only 10 pages.  I seriously hope it improves as I read further or I'll be knocking off a star for that alone!

I hope the author has got permission to use the Wikipedia brand or they could get into serious hot water!

Same with using the Avengers branding too!

It should be Nuh-uh instead of Unh uh too.

Enjoyed the last part of chapter 2 - served them right!  lol

Amazon too now... that's three internet giants that could come down heavily on the author if their brand names are being used without permission.  That's a second star off, so we're down to 3 stars now.

The author is definitely in their stride with this story now!  Some of the names are really hard to pronounce which kinda takes a bit away from the story, but not as bad as I was thinking the first few times I read them!

Chapter 10 is good and I'm mightily relieved that neither of them threw up or drew blood!

Oooh!  I'm loving these next chapters - full of intensity and we're not even half way through yet!

Oh dear... we're back to using trademarks without permission again - it had been going so well too  :-(

Yep, the author is definitely into their writing zone now and after a shakey start, it's looking good now.  Currently up to chapter 20 and the last 4 hours have just slipped past without me realising!  I definitely want to keep reading this book now and can't wait to find out what happens next!

Another trademark used that could lead to hot water... the author has created a great story, so why not create new websites and products too?

And another trademark!  If they were lesser-known brands then I would have let the author off without marking them down, but they've chosen to use giants instead!  I've already knocked off a star for doing this, so I'll be kind and not knock off any more, but the author really needs to not use such huge names because they will be able to afford more than the author can.  A simple email to each brand is all that it takes 'cos I've done it myself with my own books... better to be safe than sorry and all that jazz!

Oooh, chapter 27 was good... the tension is definitely building now!  The tension is building in chapter 28 too... don't be fooled, Thomas, Scott and Enrique!!

These next chapters are unremarkable after such good ones... currently up to chapter 34 and it's just plodding along again, but I suppose that's OK after all the action and tension in the lead-up to them.

The end of chapter 38 came out of nowhere!

These chapters are making me hold my breath!  I'm up to chapter 46 now and the tension is incredible!

I've just finished it and while most of it is good, the first and last few chapters are un-necessary and would have been a lot better if the author had just got straight into the action.  A good 3 stars from me!


No comments:

Post a Comment