Thursday 8 December 2022

Book Review: "Magpie" by Eve Ainsworth

Kindle:
Paperback:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other, more recent, book reviews then you'll already know that I start them all off in the same way - by saying that every book starts off with the full shebang of stars and that I always give reasons for knocking any stars off.

I'm wondering what sort of book it'll be, after reading the description of it... there's only one way to find out I guess!

I've got another two of the authors books to read too and it doesn't say they are in a series so I'm seriously hoping that they are stand-alone novels.

Oh.  My.  Gosh.  I can already tell that this book is gonna have me in tears and I've only read the first chapter!

The ultimate test of this book will be if I manage to finish off my hot drink before it goes cold... that's always the sign of an awesome book for me.

Yep, this is a tear-jerker alright.  It's like the author starts out each chapter purely an innocently but by the end, my head is kinda going "get ready with the tissues 'cos the emotion is gonna spill out of your eyes..." then the chapter ends and we're back to normality again!  lol

My hot drink is just above tepid now, so one more chapter and it'll be cold lol

I have yet to find a single reason to even *consider* making a star wobbly let alone getting rid of it altogether.  This author really knows her audience and the fact that it's a first-person narrator is so refreshing too!

Chapter 3 wasn't quite as heart-wrenching as the first two, so I can actually breathe and relax now and my hot drink is, officially, cold.

I won't comment on any more chapters unless something significant needs to be mentioned, just take it as read that this is definitely worthy of all five stars in my eyes.

Ooh!  It's all getting nervously exciting now!  It's mentioned a social media brand though, so like with other awesome books that have done it, we're disappointingly down to four stars for potential trademark infringement... I'm seriously hoping that it's got a bit at the back to say that it's used fictitiously or with permission though!

Bullseye.  The bit I was hoping for after the story ended *is* there, so the fifth star jumps straight back on.

This is a definite must-read... especially if you like happy-ever-afters - no spoilers though, promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment