Friday 20 January 2023

Book Review: "The Disconnect" by Keren David

Kindle:

Paperback:
⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5


If you've read any of my other recent books, you'll already know that all the books I read and review start off with the full five stars and that I'm always hopeful that they will all be stuck firmly in place by the time I close the back cover.  You'll also know that I always give reasons for knocking off any stars instead of just saying "This isn't a good book.  1 star".  This is my first review of 2023 and reading has always been my escape and coping method so I'm gonna be doing a lot of reading and reviewing for very personal reasons to help me to cope with some devasting news I was given 4 days before Christmas Day 2022 so I'm starting off with a 4.5 star book that seems to have been popular with previous readers... will it be my first 5 star book of 2023?  I seriously hope so!

Let's get started shall we?

It's only 89 pages long, so it's a rapid read... will it be long enough to escape into the fictional world created by the author?

Has the author used a well-known clothing brand without permission?  I seriously hope not, but the first star is already wobbly after only a single page unfortunately.

Another two brand names on the first page of the second chapter so the first star is coming off unfortunately.  I've reinstated a star in the past when the author has said at the back of the book that the brand name was used with permission so I'm really hoping I'll be able to do that with this book too, but we shall have to wait and see I guess.

The first two chapters have been really good.  I like how it's written in first instead of third person as a change from the norm... it'll be interesting to see if the main character can complete the challenge and win!

The main character's memory is almost as bad as mine lol

I've read 3 chapters and I'm enjoying it so far... if it hadn't been for those brand names, this would still have definitely been a five star book so far.

I'm up to chapter 7 now and I'm well into this book... other than the use of big brand names (which I've already knocked a star off for, so I'm letting their use slide now) it's exactly the sort of book I've needed and I'll miss the main character at the end of the book.

Another two chapters read and still nothing to complain about lol  I'm just under half way through and I'm seriously enjoying it!

Right at the end of chapter 11 is a will-they-or-won't-they bit... no spoilers of course, but it'll be interesting to see how the author handles it!

What a great end to a fantastic book... there's nothing about having permission to use all those brand names so it's staying at a thoroughly well-deserved 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment