Tuesday 15 June 2021

Book Review: "A Double Detectives Medical Mystery: Diagnosis Danger" by Roopa Farooki


⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

 

Like with all the books I read and review, this one is starting off with the full 5 stars too.

This book was a recommendation to help with my research and the other book I read by the same author was good, so I've got high hopes for this book too.

In only 8 pages, there have already been three words that I'm not sure a child would understand and having to stop reading this book to find a dictionary to look up each word then re-find their place in the book and keep reading.  I'm not knocking off the star yet, 'cos maybe the author has a reason for using words that are maybe beyond their intended readers current ability, but it's teetering unsteadily unfortunately.

Just finished chapter one and there have been a couple of medical terms but there's another appendix in this book that may confuse such young readers, especially as it's supposed to be fiction.

It's taken 49 pages before the author has used a High Street brand name this time which is good going compared to the other novel I read in this series where the brand names seemed to be used whenever the author fancied it... it's another star that's teetering on the edge of being dropped after only 18% of the book.

The author is using characters from Harry Potter now so that's the first star gone after 18%.

I'm at 24% now and haven't had anything negative to say about this novel in that 6%, so I'm hoping the author is into their stride and I won't need to take any more stars off for the rest of the book.

Oooh!  I like that made-up word and I may have to start using it in my real life too - flooffy!

Chapter 6 was good, but why did Nan-Nan leave the twins alone and how will they get out of the holes without causing suspicion?

The author is definitely in their stride with this book now... although I'm getting slightly confuzzled about the SWAT team and Mumsy... is Mumsy a member of the SWAT team or something??

The author has just used the name of a popular search engine and I doubt they've got written permission to use it in their book but I've already knocked a star off, so the four stars are currently safe.  There have been a few words that made the star wobbly, but they didn't detract from the story, so it's still in place but still on risky ground.

Another good book by the author... could have done with faaaar less backstory right at the start and just dived right in, weaving in the backstory as she went, but other than that, this is another good book by a passionate neurosurgeony author.  A well deserved 4 stars that could easily have been 5 with a few word choice changes early on, especially.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment