Sunday 3 October 2021

Book Review of "Life Skills for Teens" by Karen Harris


⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

This is my first book on Kindle Unlimited, so I hope it doesn't disappoint me!

If you've read any of my other recent reviews, you'll know that I've started all the others by saying that every book I read and review starts off with the full whack of 5 stars and that I remain hopeful that it ends with them all firmly in place too.  It's the same with this book.

I can already tell that it's written for the American audience 'cos it's already talking about health insurance and checks as opposed to cheques, so I'll try and bear that in mind as I read through it all, could confuse a non-American teen though.

So far the information is great for anyone to know, not just teens... things like the brown spots on fruit (I always thought that when bananas started to get spotty they should be binned 'cos they were going off - turns out we've been binning them at their best and eating them when they were under-ripe according to this book lol)

I'm only 16% of the way through the book and this almost 44 year old is learning so much already so it's not just for teens so far!

If we set our toaster to the recommended 3 then it'd come out barely toasted at all... ours is set to 6 which is just right for us - maybe toasters are different over there?

The first 20% has been awesome and I could have done with reading it two decades ago lol.  Next up is personal grooming so we'll see what the author has to say about that next.

Didn't learn anything new about personal hygiene, but it was written in a really friendly, supportive way that teens would find helpful without being too dull like they may feel at school.

I'm really enjoying this book and at 27% of the way through, each of those five stars are still solidly in position!

Almost time for me to hit the sack for the night now, but I'll hopefully finish reading and reviewing this awesome book tomorrow... nite nite orl!


Mornin' all.  Time to crack back on with the reading and reviewing now and I'm hopeful that all five of those stars that it had last night stay firmly in place for the rest of today's book.

I'm wondering if the author has got written permission to use the brand name of the trainers?  If not, they could get into serious legal hot water, unless trademarks are handled differently in America?  Either way, that fifth star is wobbly after 42%

The section about money is useful to Americans, but don't different companies use different numbers to represent how good your credit score is over there, like they do here in the UK?

Section 6 should be interesting 'cos it's about coping with your emotions, so let's see what it says!

Ooooh!  That visualisation for dealing with strong emotions is a really good idea for everyone, not just teens!

The author has used another two well-known brand names, so like with other books I've read that have done that, the first star is coming off at 59% unfortunately.  The author has done well to get over half way before losing the first star though, so they should feel really proud of themselves!

What a great book!  Especially for American teens, but even UK adults would find parts of it useful - it's already saved me from binning a banana this morning and it was easier to peel, slightly less firm and it hit my sweet tooth more than it usually does too!

Overall, it's a four star book and the only reason it's not the full five is 'cos of those brand names being used... I've knocked a star off other books that have done that, so it's only right and fair that I do it with this book too.  Sooo worth the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment