Saturday 22 January 2022

Book Review: "The Adventures of Pixie Piper: A Fairy's Breath" by Maricel Jimenez Pena


⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my recent book reviews, you'll already know what's coming next lol  Basically each book I read starts with the full 5 stars and I'm always hopeful that I'll finish reading the book with all five still firmly in place.

Let's get started shall we?

The first chapter was short and good, but I'm thinking the author is from America because of a few of the word choices, which might confuse the reader.  I'll keep on with reading and hoping that the word choices and spellings won't detract from the story for me.

Oh boy.  The first page of chapter 2 is full of confusing words for children who had maybe never realised that although America and the UK have the same language, things like elementary school and braids and mom and eyeglasses are pretty unique to America.  The first star is wobbly already.

Page two of chapter two is equally as bad with 'auditorium' and 'homeroom' so the first star has wobbled off already, after only 6 pages.

Now we've got an unpronouncable character name so the second star is wobbly now.

And now the author has used imperial measurements instead of metric so a child would have given up by now and the second star is coming off, taking this book down to three stars already.

Suuuch a dull book so I'm scrolling through the next few pages in absolute boredom.

Up to chapter 10 now and I'm hoping that it's better than the first few chapters.

Such boredom... skipped ahead to chapter 15 now.  Maybe I should be more forgiving, but there's no way a child would put up with the boredom, so why should I?  That's the third star dropping off so we're down to 2 stars now.

Chapter 15 was muuuuch better than the earlier chapters, but there are waaay too many characters to catch up on now!

Just finished reading and the last third of it was so much better than the first half!

No comments:

Post a Comment