Tuesday 25 January 2022

Book Review: "Pixie Shoes" by Rachel Ellyn

Kindle Unlimited:
Paperback:
⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know that each one starts off with the full 5 stars and I'm always hopeful that it'll finish with 'em all in place too.

Let's get going.

I'm really liking the front cover... is the pixie grinning or smiling or are they being mischevious?  I hope I'll find out as I read the book!

According to the age range on Amazon, this book is aimed at 7-9 year olds and I'm not sure that they would understand what "diminutive" means - I certainly didn't when I was that young!  The first star is wobbly now... still in place, but any more advanced words like that and it'll plop off unfortunately.

Now we've got "opaque", "bodice" and "flounced" so that first star is coming off at 10% unfortunately.

At 13% we've now got "arduous" but I've already removed a star for inappropriate words, so we're still at 4 stars and I hope they all stay in place ready for when I've finished reading.

The author seems to have mis-placed the "r" in Cordelia's name at 24%... an easy mistake in editing, but should have been picked up before it was published lol

I'm up to 25% now and haven't found anything else to knock a star off for, so the hope that it'll still have those four stars firmly in place at the end of the story is gradually increasing lol

Oh dear, the author has used "spastically" at 43% so the second star is instantly coming off without me reading any further.  It's just too insensitive for use in children's literature.

The sixth chapter (the legend of the pearl of Erina) was beautifully handled and made my heart smile... I initially wondered what that had to do with the story, but I think I'm about to find out in the next chapter.

The author is really into her stride now... the age group she has said this book is aimed at will love chapters 6 and 7 - it's just such a pity that they have to wait until well over half way to get there!

What an awesome end to a great book!  Content-wise it's definitely 5 stars, but those words at the start were too mature for the age range and inappropriate to use in this book... if those words were replaced with more age-appropriate words, this would be worthy of a definite 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment