Monday 12 September 2022

Book Review: "A Dog of My Own" by Richard Clark

Kindle:
⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5


If you've read any of my other recent book reviews then you'll already know that I start them all in the same way - by saying that all the books I read and review start off with the full 5 stars and that I'm always hopeful that they will all still be in place when I close the back cover.  You'll also know that I'm not shy about knocking off stars, especially for the use of brands potentially without permission.

Let's open up my Kindle and start reading and shall we?

Ooh, that's weird, it's all in italics which could make for hard reading!

Oh right!  It's a piece of media rather than real life!  That makes more sense then!

After the confuzzling bit right at the start, chapter 1 was good, but the author forgot to use italics when it was a media bit as opposed to the real world that Jonas lives in... a minor point that should have been picked up before publication, but it's forgivable, the first star is starting to wobble though.  Going by the age of Jonas, I can't see even a young teen wanting to read this though - should be a Middle Grade book rather than a Young Adult and there's no way that a 6 year old could understand some of the vocabulary used, so I'm thinking that the author has written and self-published a Middle Grade novella rather than anything else.

My heart is breaking for poor young Jonas in chapter 2 - I hope this novella has a happy ending for him!

Yaaay!  Jonas has got what he wanted - just temporarily - but they are going to learn so much for the rest of the book and I haven't found anything to complain about for 6 chapters - the battery on my Kindle is on its last legs though, so this seems like a good opportunity to charge it up... BBS.

I wasn't expecting chapter 13 at all!  How on earth are they going to keep up with the lies?!

Ooer... what's Chloe going on about in Chapter 20??  Is she talking about her or Princess??

Ah right, chapter 21 answered my question, but could there be another storyline just about starting too??

Oh dear... the first star is wobbling off at 54% because of the use of a well-known celebrity.  I always hate it when this happens, but as always happens, my sense of fair play is insisting that I take this 5 star book down to a 4  :-(

Rascal is such a clever little doggy... he's saved the day again!

Oooh!  I can see why they talked about the parents' jobs so early on in the book... at 65% the truth is starting to emerge.  A well-known graphics programme has been used semi-frequently, but I've already taken a star off for something similar so the star is staying on, but it's very wobbly.

Oooh!  Action stations at 74%!

There's still 17% of the book to go... what else is gonna happen?

Just finished reading and I'm slightly teary.  If it hadn't been for the famous actor and brand name usage, this would definitely have been a 5 star book.

No comments:

Post a Comment