Thursday 1 September 2022

Book Review: "Maya Makes Money" by Diya Garg

Kindle:
Paperback:

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of 5

If you've read any of my other recent book reviews, you'll already know that I start each one in the same way and that is to say that each books starts off with the full shebang of 5 stars and that I'm always hopeful that they will still be stuck firmly in place by the time I close the back cover.

The cover of this book seems to show a girl of about 9-10 years old riding a bike, but the description immediately makes me think that it's aimed at teens - I don't know how many 9 year old girls would be interested in the financing of a new bike (or any toy) they would just want it.  I also don't know how many teens would even pick up the book showing a much younger child than them on the cover, even if they had started to get an interest in where money comes from to buy the things they want.

We shall see I guess!

Oooh!  I like the "This book belongs to..." bit and it's got me thinking that it's for the newly confident reader so we shall see how the author handles the finance part... so far so good though.

Oooh!  It's an illustrated book judging by the first page... it'll be interesting to see how it's handled and so far it seems to definitely for the newly confident reader as opposed to teens.

I'm not sure which country this book is set in, but over here in the UK it would be dangerous to send two children to buy vegetables at a market on their own.  Judging by the age of the children in the illustrations I'd say they were about 9-10 and maybe 6-7 years old which would be waaay too young to send children out alone over here in the UK and would get too-young children pleading to go to shopping alone "because the children in the book did, so why can't I?"

Ah right, the currency that has been quoted is Rupees so it must be set in India where it seems to be a lot safer to move around and could get the conversation about other countries and the currencies they use to buy things started.  Still a 5 star book in my eyes.

It's a great start to explaining budgeting and saving!  I'm hoping I was wrong at the start of this review when I said it might be too complicated for newly confident readers... if it keeps on like this, it'll be a wonderful way to introduce it to youngsters to gain more of an understanding of money!

Ah right, Maya has just said she's 12, so the illustrations look a lot younger than she actually is.  It makes more sense that she was able to go out with her brother to buy the vegetables now, but the illustrations need to show her as a few years older.

Ooh!  Great going Dad... it encourages children to work for their money to prepare them for their job, rather than being bailed out all the time by their parents - great going by the author!

Great way to explain bargaining - not sure a shop over here in the UK would be willing to bargain over their prices though!  lol

Great idea by Maya to make the snack at the school fete!  I hope her parents give her the ingredients and support she needs to achieve it!

I was soo wrong about financial things being too advanced for the age group - there are real life examples and then a very short explanation about what each term means at the end of the page - fantastic work by the author!

What a great book!  The last few pages were cut off mid-word, continued on the next page for another couple of words then you had to go back to the previous page to keep reading the sentence, which was a bit annoying and frustrating but still a well-deserved 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment